Monday, March 20, 2017

Bible Stamping & Journaling

There is a huge trend right now to journal and stamp in your Bible and I really thought I would enjoy this so I finally gave in after several months of looking for a Bible that suits this artistic journey. Let's face it, there is no room in a standard bible publication. I settled on the Journal the Word Bible in the New International Version translation. There are a couple of versions to choose from and I think they will do more as this trend gains popularity or not as the trend fades away.

I was trying to decide how I wanted to start this in my own Journal the Word Bible so I thought I'd share a few tips on how I got started (just this morning). I started by sitting and looking through my own stamp sets and some online stamp sets to see what I had that could be used for this purpose and made a list with the help of some ladies on the Papertrey Ink Forum, including Dawn McVey. She started this a while back and it was actually the bible she recommended that I chose for my project. At least half of my stamp sets have a flower, a flourish, a word or phrase that can be used to accent the pages of our bibles in such a lovely way. This is the list I started with and these are all Papertrey Ink Stamp Sets and a few dies as well:

2016 Anniversary Set (Prayers)
All Booked Up
Alphabet Dies
Alphabet Stamps for creating your own words.
Beautiful Berries: Spring
Beautiful Blessings
Beautiful Blessings (contains Bible verses and some other sentiments that would work with Bible journaling)
Beautiful Blessings: Holiday
Bitty Butterflies
Bold Blossoms
Book Club
Brushed Blooms
Brushed Off
Butterfly Hope
Cheerful Heart
Choose Joy
Christmas Blessings
Christmas Faith
Counting my Blessings
Courage and Kindness
Easter Alleluias 
Embroidered Blooms
Enclosed Wreath Mini
Enclosed: Bell (Joy)
Enclosed: Butterfly Mini
Everyday Blessings
Faith & Hope (Vault)
Fancy Pants Holiday
Feather Finery
Festival of Lights
Friendly Flowers
Give Thanks
God appears near mountains or in clouds.
Graceful Greetings
Graceful Greetings II
Gratitude Journal (Vault)
Guiding Light and/or Lighten Up - for verses on light
Happiest of Holidays (Silent Night-Holy Night Stamp)
Harvest Berries
Heart Dies
Heart Prints
Heart Prints Sentiments
Heavenly Medley (Vault)
Inside and Out Holiday Stamps
Inspired: Blessed
Inspired: Faith
Inspired: God
Inspired: Grace
Inspired: Hope
Inspired: Jesus
Inspired: Lord
Inspired: Love
Inspired: Mercy
Inspired: Praise
Inspired: Prayer
Inspired: Savior
Jingle All The Way
Light of Life 
Lock & Key (Vault)
Love and Marriage
Love Lives Here
Love Lives Here: Holiday
Make It Market Mini Kit: Sunshine and Rainbows
Meadow Greens
Move Mountains Mini
Mum's the Word
Nativity Silhouettes & Additions
New Every Morning
Oh Holy Night (has some great Christmas verses!)
One Big Happy
One Liners
Painted Poinsettias
Paper Clippings: Done in Love
Paper Clippings: Joy to the World Stamp Set
Paper Clippings: Love Story
Paper Clippings: Thankful For You Details
Paper Clippings: Thankful For You Stamp Set
Peaceful Pinecones
Phrases and Praises
Season's Greetings
Snowflake Serenade
Some Like it Hot
Sparkle & Shine
Splits: With Love
Spring Woods
Spruce & Sprigs
Stacked Statements
Stained Glass (Vault)
Stamp sets with Hearts
Star of Wonder
Stitched Sentiments
Stylish Sentiments
Stylized Autumn
Think of different stories and pull elements, e.g. rainbow, apple, tree, whale, anchor, house.
Thrill of Hope 
Tulip Time (New Beginnings)
Walk by Faith
Walk by Faith
Wet Paint Holiday
What the Doodle: Waves
Winter Village
Winter Woods
Wonderful Words Dies and Stamps
Wonderful Words Dies: Joy
Year of Flowers Collection
Year of Psalms
You Are a Masterpiece

I'm still looking at my sets but once you start doing this, it becomes easier to see what you can do with what you have. There are also some obvious choices such as Papertrey's "Inspired" series designed by Betsy Veldman and her new series called "Year of Psalms". I'd recommend that you just sit down to see what you can use. I use an indexing system to store all of my stamp sets, so I just grabbed my Papertrey bin and started looking. I will look through my other sets, as time allows, but I have a lot to get me started.

To actually decide on the place where I started, I chose a few favorites and started there. One of my absolute favorite verses is Psalm Nineteen - Verse One: The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. When I see a star filled sky or a perfect blue sky with fluffy little clouds drifting by, this verse comes to mind and I think it will even more now that I've begun Bible Journaling and Stamping. For this page, I used WPLUS9's Lucky Stars Stamp Set.


There are still a few kinks to work out. Which type of ink is the best is one of those kinks given the fact that bible pages are so much thinner than regular book pages.  So far I've tried dye and pigment inks and I prefer the pigment inks but it will be important to use fast-drying formulas for this.  I chose this style of Bible because it has a single column of text toward the inside of the page and lightly ruled outside columns. This gives you a place to stamp or to write in your thoughts as you reflect on what you've read. 

Another one of the things I did was to mark the two prayers taught to me by my Great Grandmother.  If there's a story or passage or particular chapter of the bible that you like, start there. You definitely need to put a piece of scrap paper behind what you've stamped to prevent bleed through to other pages. And you also need to let whatever you have stamped dry fully before you move on to another page or close your bible.

Not everyone likes to write, so this isn't something that will be everyone's cup of tea. I was pretty sure it was for me, so I'm happy I took the plunge.  I hope you enjoyed the few tips I've given to get started and I hope to have more insights for those who are interested in the future.  Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!